LET GO OF WHAT’S NOT YOURS!
I never realised I could “absorb” another person’s emotions and fears. Until it happened to me on a trip a couple of years back.
The Boat That Started It All
It was supposed to be a fun trip, which included getting on a boat to travel upriver. The plan was to plant some trees at the stop.
I was looking forward to it. Having been on boats, I was confident we would be safe and be making a difference to the world.The thing is, some friends had huge issues with the boat ride.
For days before the event, much worry and concern was poured out. Through text messages and hurried phone calls. I didn’t think much of any of this and just let them vent endlessly.
Days later, when we were driving to the jetty, the car was tense with fear and worry. The analysis of things that could go wrong continued with vigour. My body started to feel uncomfortable. Cringing inwardly, I made the best of the situation.
This took place way before I learnt about how energy affects us. So, I had no clue what to do.
By the time we stood on the jetty, I felt I was suffocating. I could not breathe. That had not happened to me in a long time. I opted not to go on the boat.
I was puzzled as to what was happening to my body. I hadn’t had such bad breathing problems in a long time.
Admittedly, there are things that I am afraid of. Getting on a boat was never one of them.
It Wasn’t Me!
Today, I understand what had happened.
I had unconsciously allowed myself to absorb their fears until it choked me.
It was pretty intense and extreme. Maybe it’s because I am fairly sensitive. Negativity affects different people differently.
Some may just feel a little down. Others may not even feel anything until much later.
Without intending to, we do take on the energy of someone else or even the space we find ourselves in.
Are You An Energy Sponge?
Consider these questions:
- Does your mood and physical energy level change after being around certain people?
- Do crowded places make you uncomfortable and leave you feeling drained?
- Do you always feel lethargic even after a fun outing with friends?
- Do certain rooms/space make you uncomfortable for no obvious reasons?
If you answer “Yes” to one or more, you have been affected by energy that is not yours.
It’s not just negative energy from the outside that can influence you. There’s also negative energy that you churn up inside yourself.
These could be from looping thoughts, feelings and actions.
Clean Your Canvas
Your life is like a sparkling clean canvas. You can choose to paint it with happy hues or dark depressing ones. People around you will also be making their choices and be busy painting on their canvases.
Occasionally, they may move close to you as they get engrossed in their painting. That’s when their colours may splash on your canvas.
If you don’t like their colours, you need to remove them. The longer you leave it for another day, the harder it gets to do it.
Similarly, when it comes to energy you can remove the negative stuff from inside of you pretty easily. Just don’t wait too long, as it can affect you more than you know!
Clean That Negative Energy Now!
Do energy cleansing daily or as soon as you feel that you are carrying something that is not yours.
There are several ways to clear energy. Play around with different ways to do it until you find one that you like.
Here’s an easy way to do it:
- Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths.
- Ask the universe or your angels to guide you. This is optional.
- Imagine a violet light/violet flame flowing down to you. See it forming a huge bubble around you. If you can’t see it, it’s okay. Just trust that the process is working.
- Let the light gently enter your body. Work with your cells. Request that they open up for this special cleansing.
- Allow each and every part of your body to be immersed in this light. Take your time with this step. Also, believe that it is working. That’s important.
- See that light cleansing the space around your body.
- Let the light flow out into the ground.
- Give thanks and feel gratitude for being able to do this exercise. Also, tell yourself that you will do it again the next day.
Sheela Prabhakaran is a writer and trainer who has a keen interest in people and nature. Her career started out in publishing followed by many years in Corporate Communication. Over time she has reached out to people of all walks of life through copywriting, writing books and articles. Her training experience includes Business English and Communication. She has embarked on an exciting new spiritual journey which sees her exploring more ways to share ideas on leading a healthier and happier life. She can be reached at email@example.com